Thursday, October 18, 2012

- One Year Down And The Rest Of Our Life To Go -

{click image to view larger}
      Well, October 28th will be our first wedding anniversary! This care package came out a little girly, hah! But, he'll get over it {you can view the pictures larger by clicking on them}. One box flap has a love note attached to it and the flap opposite has two anniversary related bible verses written in hearts. My Husband recently told me he saves all the box flaps I make and hangs them in his rack (bed area). Way to make my heart flutter babe! Makes ever second of making these care packages worth it! This care package included: 
  • the usual Snacks: trail mix, cereal, easy mac, monster energy drink, and granola bars.
  • some Xbox games - that he requested
  • a DVD of Nick Vujicic giving his testimony at Saddleback Church
  • a customized photo Coffee Tumbler - that he requested
  • Starbucks Via - the instant coffee packets
  • homemade Buffalo Ranch Chex Mix in a mason jar
  • the Heart Attack in a Box!
  • for the traditional first year anniversary gift (paper). I wrote him a love note that explains how he's changed my life and thanking him for making my world a better place - titled: Distance may keep us apart, but you will forever and for always own my heart.
{click image to view larger}
      Like most Men, my Husband is a huge buffalo chicken wing fan. It's disgusting how much we go out to eat wings! But, I'm totally not complaining.... :) I believe that mason jars truly keep food fresh for longer periods of time if you can them properly. So, this time I decided to make my own Chex Mix, Buffalo Ranch style, in a mason jar! Something I know my Husband is going to love. I also inhaled my own mason jar of this stuff after I made it. With that said, WARNING this stuff is additively delicious!

I read many different recipes and just decided to play around and make what sounded good to me.

Ingrediants:
  • 4 cups Rice Chex cereal
  • 4 cups Wheat Chex cereal
  • 2 cups Gold Fish (or any cheese flavored bite size cracker)
  • 2 cups Pretzel's
  • 6 tablespoons Butter
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons of Frank's Original - he loves spicy. You can lower this amount to 2 1/2 tablespoons if you're not a fan of really spicy foods.
  • 1 packet ranch dressing mix
  • 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (again, he loves spicy. So, this is optional)
Directions: Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Canning in Mason Jar is optional.
  • In a large bowl - mix cereals, crackers and pretzels; set aside. In a small bowl - microwave butter uncovered on High (about 40 seconds or until melted). Stir in hot sauce and seasonings. Pour over cereal mixture; stir and toss until evenly coated.
  • Place cereals, crackers and pretzels in a large roasting pan. Bake in oven for one hour, stirring every fifteen minutes. Remove from oven and cool mixture on paper towels. KEEP OVEN ON.
  • While Chex Mix is cooling, place desired Mason Jar (with out lid) in the oven, allowing it to fully heat up and become hot to the touch (but don't touch, obviously). Once Chex Mix is completely cool, carefully take the Mason Jar out of the oven and instantly fill it with the Chex Mix. Then, place NEW canning lid on and seal immediately to guarantee a good seal.
  • Let Mason Jar cool completely - then decorate to gift!
 
{click image to view larger}
     My Husband requested a Coffee Tumbler a while back. I decided to wait just a little before sending him one so I can decorate it and put it in this specific care package, hehe. Poor thing had to wait a few extra weeks, but I'm sure once he sees it he'll know it was worth the wait. I got this customizable tumbler from Target ($9.99 on sale for $8.99), it's by Aladdin. It comes with a website that you can go to in order to make different types of photo collages and can print them out for the tumbler. I really wasn't a fan of any of them, so I made my own (see above photo). Also paired this with Starbucks Via's which I also got at Target ($6.99 each, darn suckers are expensive). He complains about the coffee on the ship all the time, hopefully this will put a smile on his face and make standing watch a little easier ;)

{click image to view larger}
      This was SO much fun to make. I found this idea via Pinterest (of course, right?). I got a small box from JoAnn's, decorated it and filled it with little hearts that I cut out of scrapbook paper. These hearts have messages on the back stating - what I love him about him, how much I love him, and why I married him. I was able to sit down for about an hour and reflect about how much my Husband makes me happy. It was bitter sweet and a bit emotional to take a trip down memory lane in order to come up with things to write. I laughed and shed tears. It's kind of upsetting to not be able to spend our Anniversary together. This past year was meant to break us, but through every hurdle we came out stronger! So, this is not just an Anniversary but a celebration. GOOD NEWS THOUGH - we are officially HALF way thru this Deployment. I'm beaming :)

*Care packages in the making - Birthday & Christmas. Will post soon.*

Thank you to everyone who continues to support me & my Husband. For all the kind words and prayers. You all are making this Deployment a little easier for me! Love you.

 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your heart attack in a box :) that's a great looking care package!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cuuute! My husband is deployed w/ the air force & i'm totally sending him your chex mix recipe in a care package!!! :) Blessings on your marriage and this time apart. Happy Anniversary!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anniversaries away from loved ones are always hard. I'd love to share a great gift idea for any of your readers that are in a similar long distance situation. It's called http://mydayregistry.com and allows you to dedicate a day to a loved one.

    ReplyDelete