Thursday, September 13, 2012

- 1st Attempt at Shipping Cookies Overseas -

{click image to view larger}


     I can't seem to find any solid information on how to send cookies overseas - that guarantees they will arrive fresh. So, I've decided to try all the ones I come across, post them here, and through my trial and error, we'll find the best method on Shipping Cookies Overseas! You're Welcome. I'll make a post, like this one, with details on what to do and then re-post with an update once my Husbands receives them and gives me the verdict.


Apple Peels

     Apple Peels? That's right!!! Apparently people use fruit peels to retain moisture for lots of things like brown sugar and tobacco. I found that a few people have had success with Apple Peels when sending baked goods. I thought this was extremely interesting and I just happened to have an apple! Here is what you'll need:
  • Ziploc Bags
  • Paper Towels
  • Disposable Tupperware
  • and of course, Apple Peels!
     While explaining this method, I'll be referring to the pictures above to give you a better idea of what I am trying to say. I'll use numbers so be a good blogger and imagine I added numbers to the pictures (I'm too lazy to boot up my Photoshop again). First picture being "1" and then in numeric order from left to right.... I promise to add numbers the next time I do this!

OK, here we go -

  1. First, bake your cookies. I decided to make White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies. My Husband is not as much of a sweet whore - who can eat an entire batch of cookies to themselves...like me - so I wanted to make something mild that he'll enjoy.
  2.  Once cookies are cooled,  peel an apple. Now, take half a paper towel, fold it in half and place it inside a Ziploc bag (size of paper towel will obviously very depending on the size of the Ziploc bag you use)  and place the Apple Peels in-between the folds of a paper towel (I did about 4-5 peels). Place the appropriate amount of cookies to fit inside the bag and place them on top of the paper towel and then vacuum seal them (by sucking the air out yourself). See picture 5 for a visual.
  3. Then place more paper towels with apple peels between the folds at the bottom of the tupperware you choose. Place the sealed bags of cookies inside the tupperware, add more paper towels to the top, and then seal the tupperware with the lid. See picture 6 for a visual.

     This seems too simple to be true. I do have some concerns. As you can see in picture 5, the apple peels were moist and it was soaking through the paper towels. I feel like by the time my Husband receives the care package the cookies may have a hint of apple taste to them. I'm also afraid the peels may get moldy.... But, we'll see! If anyone else has tried this before, comment and let me know! Or even let me know if you plan to try this, feed back is always appreciate :)


3 comments:

  1. Awesome post, thanks for sharing your story with us Jessica! I know when I do shipping I use Home Direct USA after I read some people's homedirectusa ratings I was sold. Thank you again for sharing, I hope your husband receives the cookies safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I read, the last thing you want to ship across seas is something that is crushable or any form of bread or baked good. They can go bad, crumble, and just be overall hurt in the process.

    -Panamerican Shipping

    ReplyDelete
  3. Use metal tins, like the ones cookies come in during the holiday. My sister was army and through her 4 deployments to the middle east my mom and I mailed her whole division cookies (chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies) in metal tins taped shut. Put them in a ziplock bag first. They always arrived fresh and never crumbled. We put the tins in a huge box with peanuts and newspaper.

    ReplyDelete