Monday, July 30, 2012

- Mason Jar Baking!

{click image to view larger}
{click image to view larger}


A very “trial and error” process. This might call for some extra patience :)

      After attempting to bake home made bread recipes I decided to try a boxed Betty Crocker version of, Banana Nut Bread. I badly wanted to send my Husband home made Banana Nut Bread but everything seemed to come out too moist to send him. Probably from using real Banana’s. So, unfortunately I had to use the fake boxed stuff. Still turned out delicious and was the perfect balance of moisture, just not very “personal” in my opinion. But, I’m sure he’ll love it!

     Again, this is a trial and error process. What I will share with you is just what so happened to have worked for me! I used Betty Crocker Banana Nut Bread mix from Target ($3) and used 2 pint size Mason Jars, also from Target (pack of 4 for $16). Make sure to get WIDE Mason Jars, they are much easier/less of a mess to fill.

  • Sterilize Mason Jars first! I just bought brand new ones so I ran mine through the dishwasher. If you have old ones you would like to use, boiling them before making in them. Make sure that the lids and seals are new though so you can get a good seal.
  • Spray Mason Jars with cooking pray first to avoid the bread from sticking to the jar. I then filled my jars 1/4 full with batter. This took me a few attempts to know how much batter to put in the jar, I had a couple batter eruptions ;) But of course, this may be different for you.
  • I followed the baking instructions on the Betty Crocker box for temperature/time. I placed both jars on a cookie sheet and put in the oven at 425 degrees for 20min. Then, I let them cool for only ONE minute and immediately placed the lids on and sealed them.
  • You will hear some popping sounds, that’s just the cans sealing (its a good sign). You will also see the cake come off of the jar while it cools down (another good sign).
  • Wait until jars are completely cool, then decorate!
 

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea. :) I am not a "baker" because there is too much involved with measuring, following directions, and not forgetting stuff. However this? THIS I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was there a bit of moisture in your jars after baking? I sealed them immediately after they came out of the oven as instructed, so there's trapped moisture from the heat and I feel like that might make the cakes more prone to bacteria? I'm nervous about sending them overseas!

    ReplyDelete